Saturday, December 7, 2013

Beer Friday

Welcome to another CBF.  I know it's Saturday but I'm trying my best.  Lots of Christmas business this week and very little writing.  But, I'm still in it for the long haul.  Things are definitely on the horizon.  Part one of my vampire novel is coming right after the New Year and I will also begin two other fairly lengthy writing projects.

You will find all of my updates here.

Anyway, who wants a cold beer?  (The answer to that is always a resounding hell yes!!!)   This week's beer is Blue Point Brewery's Winter Ale.  I would rate this a solid 3 (see previous post for rating info).

Blue Point's winter seasonal is somewhat of an oddball--it is an American amber/red ale that comes in at a robust 7% ABV.  The beer was poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a standard pint glass (SPG) and enjoyed while staring at the undecroated Christmas tree.  A blog about Xmas is really coming, by mid-week at the latest.

The winter ale is a crisp amber color, clear with a fair amount of lacing.  The beer smells of malts and doughy sweetness.  The first sip was like drinkling a typical red ale, save for the slightly higher alcohol content.  Amidst the malty goodness there is a hint of caramel that gives the beer a nice sugary quality.  There is very little hops to speak of, typical of a red ale.

Blue Point's winter offering is good, not a traditional winter beer that leans on spicy goodness for the flavor character.

Until next time, drink up and drink well.  And if you are in a store that sells beer and happen to see Anchor Steam's Christmas Ale, give it a shot.  You won't be disappointed.  Who knows, maybe I'll review the beer next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment